4 - 6 April, 2018 - Austin, TX
Maimunah Jaffar promotes and practices sustainability in delivering her daily works in Iskandar Malaysia. She set out on her work life as an architect with 4 years working experienced in United States and as urban designer in one of prestigious company in Kuala Lumpur. She is the driver to ensure stakeholders’ alignment to Iskandar Malaysia vision towards Sustainable Metropolis and developed Iskandar Malaysia Comprehensive Development Plan and Smart City Iskandar Malaysia Framework.
She has successful secured Iskandar Malaysia to become a pilot project for the United Nation Energy Efficiency Acceleration program which program was launched at the United Nations conference, New York in October 2014. She represented Iskandar Malaysia to launch and speak in the Conference of Parties (COP) and founder to Iskandar Malaysia Smart City and speakers at various national and international Sustainable and Smart City Seminars.
Recently, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) selected Maimunah as one of the many female faces in sustainable places exhibition in Boston, USA. Maimunah is also in the working committee in the preparation of ‘Green Building Index’ for the ‘residential category’ and ‘Green Township’ led by the Malaysia Association of Architects (PAM).
Lead the revised Comprehensive Development Plan and Project managed the preparation of key blueprint to guide development of Iskandar Malaysia, such as; ‘Land Use Management Plan’, ‘Area Character Statement’, ‘Design brief for Iskandar Malaysia public housing’ and ‘‘Iskandar Malaysia Affordable housing policies’.
– Founder of Iskandar Malaysia Smart City Framework. Presented to the Prime Minister at the ‘Global Science and Innovation Advisory Council Meeting (GSIAC) in New York in 2012, with GSIAC partners and collaboration with New York Academy of Science; Lead Approval for Smart City Iskandar Malaysia framework by the Prime Minister in 2013.
– Lead Smart City team in IRDA, representative at National level Alliance committee, and local Futuristic Iskandar Malaysia Action Council (FIMAC) and advisor to preparation of Malaysia Smart City Blueprint
– Key speakers for Iskandar Malaysia Smart City, representing IRDA at various seminars and summits – International and National level, such as:
– East Asia Building Efficiency Forum And Building By ICLEI, 2017
– Global District Energy talk at ‘Conference of Parties’, Paris 2015
– Building Energy Efficiency talk at ‘Conference of Parties’, Morocco 2016
– Lead Iskandar Malaysia Building Efficiency Accelerator programs, with support from United Nation and World Research Institute, Washington DC
– Lead Global District Energy Iskandar Malaysia, with support of UN Environment and Center of Energy Copenhagen
– Urban economic growth (city investment has increase since then)
– Environmental and quality of life (Integrated Water Treatment Center for Segget River catchment and cleaning of Segget River currently in progress – Segget River, 1 of the dirtiest river in Iskandar Malaysia),
– Identity and community (Increasing young entrepreneurs in the old city center with openings of new niche shop)
– Physical and design development for Phase 1: Local Hub at Hutan Bandar Johor Bahru, and Phase 2: International Hub at Iskandar Puteri
– People development, includes entrepreneurship, volunteerism and recreational toward a healthy and cultured lifestyle. Iskandar Malaysia Youth Council was established to lead the activities.
– International Conference ‘Conference of Parties’ Paris 2015, Morocco 2016 and Bonn 2017
– MIT Scholars program, in collaboration with local university, University Teknologi Malaysia, 2013 to now
– Energy Efficiency Accelerator initiatives with Toyoma and Tokyo City
– Chairperson for Ops Lumpur : monitor the compliance of earthworks in Iskandar Malaysia
– Chairperson for Planning and Urban Design Committee: compliance to Urban Design Guidelines for Medini and Puteri Harbor , a new township development area in Iskandar Malaysia
– Chairperson for IM171: Networking platform for state agencies and 5 local authorities in Iskandar Malaysia
– Lead IRDA Project and Program Compliance team ensuring projects deliver in timely manner, follow process and quality.